Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

At 2:17 PM -0400 on 8/10/04, Richard Shockey wrote:
> <yawn> Yet Another Layer 3 "VOIP" Peering Exchange. </yawn>

I do have quite a bit more interest in Neustar's ENUM offering, but that press release is almost completely marketing flash and no content. Their website is similarly geared towards readers of "industry magazines" and not towards those who actually implement the technology. Do you have any other links that actually describe what these new "IP services" are and what, exactly, is the magic ingredient that makes it work?

JT

I don't, personally, but I'll bet Richard Shockey does...

What you have here is a private ENUM ( phone number to URI mapping) service that permits carriers the ability to exchange URI or other routing data among themselves in a hosted secure manner. The services it can enable are limited only by the URI's defined, which are typically SIP based VoIP, MMS, and or presence based applications as examples.

We sign up to very stringent SLA's for data avaibility and integrity, have a full suite of provisioning tools etc.

--
Daniel Golding
Network and Telecommunications Strategies
 > Burton Group

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza - Sterling, VA 20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683, Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>

So, I'll ask my perennial question: how does this scale? Or is this just an interim step between now and when a globally-rooted ENUM tree is generally available? In other words: does this become a monopoly of routing information in the best of all your possible worlds? Or, if I was a carrier, would I have to subscribe to and/or run DNS resolution through the Neustar ENUM "pool", the Verisign ENUM "pool", the Stealth ENUM "pool", the e164.org ENUM "pool", the e164.arpa ENUM "pool", and so on and so on before I'd route my customer's call?

Admittedly, I don't understand how your product works, so I'm interested in hearing more of a complete description, even if this can be only be applied to the world of the large-dollar-budget incumbents. Anything to encourage the use of ENUM is a good thing in my book, even if it's a closed environment...

If I'm outside the charter of the list by asking a vendor to describe his product, I apologize, but I think it's worth more discussion to illuminate the subject area a bit more than has been done in the past.

JT