Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

At<<<<

So, I'll ask my perennial question: how does this scale?

Its the technology of the DNS of course it scales. I do not understand what you mean.

Or is this just an interim step between now and when a globally-rooted ENUM tree is generally available?

Nope the two are actually orthogonal. Public ENUM and Carrier TN to URI resolution ( aka Carrier ENUM) will almost by definition co-exist in parallel.

In other words: does this become a monopoly of routing information in the best of all your possible worlds? Or, if I was a carrier, would I have to subscribe to and/or run DNS resolution through the Neustar ENUM "pool", the Verisign ENUM "pool", the Stealth ENUM "pool", the e164.org ENUM "pool", the e164.arpa ENUM "pool", and so on and so on before I'd route my customer's call?

Thats a over simplication of the issue. As a practical matter carriers will force inter operability among data providers since, after all, its their data into a single recursive query model or use forms of pushing data into their networks vs pulling it from various DNS systems. In fact you really dont need to use the DNS, frankly some of this is better done by SIP itself where the originating carrier invite is translated into a 302 redirect by the data provider. (WARNING COMMERCIAL :our product can slice and dice the data and spit it back to the SP any way it wants)

Admittedly, I don't understand how your product works, so I'm interested in hearing more of a complete description, even if this can be only be applied to the world of the large-dollar-budget incumbents. Anything to encourage the use of ENUM is a good thing in my book, even if it's a closed environment...

well that sounds like a sales call <g> the key is getting vendors to make a strategic decision on what is the preferred next generation query response mechanism for TN to URI resolution and beginning to implement it. at the 50K foot level remember what this is about .. killing off SS7. BTW demand ENUM in your IP PBX as well.

The dirty little secret of VoIP is that swapping out the underlying transport of a voice call from TDM to IP does nothing unless you can attack the real underlying evil in the PSTN which is SS7.

If I'm outside the charter of the list by asking a vendor to describe his product, I apologize, but I think it's worth more discussion to illuminate the subject area a bit more than has been done in the past.

JT

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>