Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

--On 11 August 2004 11:33 +0200 Christian Schlatter <schlatter@switch.ch> wrote:

this is why I have a parallel ENUM resolver library on my projects
list.. just imagine, no limits to number of pools to be queried
concurrently in bounded time (except for the max number of
filedescriptors of your OS;)

The question then is which "pool"/ENUM domain should be given a higher priority. Or can we be sure that all different pools assure that the same E.164 number isn't registered twice?

Well the answer I presume is the route delivering the best optimizing factor, which is some function of price and quality constraints and possibly other metrics.

And that opens up another can of worms (in an echo from a month ago on this
list) which is that there is no current mechanism (pace TRIP) to
communicate these metrics.

So (unless I've missed the point), then this type of peering point is,
at the moment, only good for those who (a) can assume that the call
termination cost is lower than any alternative (possible, if for
instance it's zero), and (b) never have quality constraints in excess
of those offered by any SLA (and I'm not sure how that works for
things like end-to-end RTT - how do you know you're not tromboning
a call?).

I should point out that (a) and (b) also apply to conventional internet
peering points and many conventional private peering agreements - I'm
just not sure that model translates 1:1 to a world where VoIP is
small compared to POTS and they interconnect.

Interprovider RSVP anyone?

Alex