Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point?

At 05:33 AM 8/11/2004, Christian Schlatter wrote:

Michael Haberler wrote:

this is why I have a parallel ENUM resolver library on my projects list.. just imagine, no limits to number of pools to be queried concurrently in bounded time (except for the max number of filedescriptors of your OS;)

exactly and new products such as the Intertex IX66 actually this logic built in its a trival matter in the code and adds little to call setup times

The question then is which "pool"/ENUM domain should be given a higher
priority. Or can we be sure that all different pools assure that the
same E.164 number isn't registered twice?

not necessary .. remember the needs of service providers and or enterprises are different from consumers.

by definition the ENUM RFC 3761 ( 1.e164.arpa) system in the US and Canada will be OPT-IN which means that some VoIP end points may not be represented in the global tree this will cause a default condition of PSTN routing which is both archecturally and economically inefficient to carriers over time.

A private closed ENUM signalling system among peering VoIP providers or any provider for that matter means exposes ALL endpoints to the peering carrier (AA presumably is done by SIP BTW) . The data is not globally exposed it is queried over VPN and selected subnets and is not accessible to a normal Internet user.

As for look ups if there is no data in one tree it simply looks into another based on some logic in the SP's network.

Enterprises can do the same if they want to create virtual voice extranets for instance.

-Christian

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>