Re: [RRG] End user network size [ [Q] draft-farinacci-lisp: IPv4 address depletion]

On 27-sep-2007, at 14:05, Robin Whittle wrote:

In the absence of a new architecture (LISP/eFIT-APT/Ivip/TRRP), year
by year, X number (X will grow with each year) of end-user networks
will want and/or need stable IPv4 addresses, for the purposes of
multihoming and/or so they can choose ISPs without renumbering.

(which can be described as "serial multihoming")

The question is:

  What proportion Z of these end-user networks could be run (in a
  way which reasonably meets the end-user's needs) with
  significantly less than 256 IP addresses?  (Say 128, 64, 32, 16,
  8, 4, 2 or even 1.)

The only thing that absolutely, positively eats up addresses is servers that are reachable over SSL. For pretty much everything else you can have multiple logical servers share an IP address. With load balancers you can have multiple physical servers share an IP address. In my experience, there are significant numbers of organizations that have to be creative to get that coveted /24 block from RIPE (other RIRs have slightly different rules). That's today. Bandwidth is getting cheaper, address conservation is getting better, dependence on the internet keeps increasing.

I think the IPv4 address crunch will just lead to more and more
inventive ways of using address space efficiently.  Without a new
architecture, this will surely bloat the IPv4 global routing table
to double and beyond its current size in a few years.

No-one will be happy with an IPv6-only address until 99% or more of
other Internet users have an IPv6 address too.  There seems to be
little reason to get an IPv6 address at present, for most people,
and I can't see why this would change.

What IPv6 brings to the table is a simpler network. We tend to forget this because we still assume that IPv4 will always be present, but if you compare an IPv6-only network to an IPv4 network, the IPv6 network is much easier to build and maintain. As IPv4 addresses become harder to get and IPv6 implementations become more mature, this difference will only become more pronounced.

Fortunately, the 99% issue is only applicable to a small subset of all applications. IPv6 deployment issues depend on the type of application: client/server or peer-to-peer, and one-to-few or one-to- many.

Client/server one-to-few would be email: you only talk to a very small number of mail servers. If those servers that you use are dual stack, you can run IPv6-only on your workstation and still read and write mail without trouble.

Client/server one-to-many is web: you talk to many different web servers. You can only be IPv6-only once ALL these servers are dual stack.

Peer-to-peer one-to-few is BitTorrent: you download pieces of files from different peers, but you don't really care from which peer. So as long as the tracker (coordinating server) and a reasonable subset of all peers is dual stack, you're in business.

Peer-to-peer one-to-many is VoIP: in theory, you can dial any number, so you can only run IPv6-only once your SIP server and all possible peers are dual stack.

Turns out you can easily move an application from the one-to-many to the one-to-few category by implementing proxies. So once your ISP (or IT department) has set up a dual stack HTTP/HTTPS proxy you can reach the web (in theory everything that uses TCP with the HTTPS proxy) and if your VoIP provider has an IPv6-capable gateway towards other networks, you can make calls over IPv6, too.

So in an environment where only a subset of all possible applications must be supported (i.e., an enterprise network) it's entirely possible to ditch IPv4 and proxy to the IPv4 world at the edge of the network.

I think we are still going to be clamouring for IPv4 addresses in
ten or fifteen years time.  Maybe we will be stuck with it forever.
 I hope a new routing and addressing architecture can be implemented
around 2012.

I find it strange how people can make predictions that far in the future. Less than 1% of all people that are now running IPv4 were doing so 15 years ago. If you can go from 0 to 4 in 15 years, why not from 4 to 6 in as many or fewer years?