Re: [RRG] Thoughts on the RRG/Routing Space Problem

Jari,

A form of pushback would be that the traditional PI space winds up
being significantly more expensive for many end-users than the new
type of ITR-ETR managed "micronet" address space.

Hmm. I think your argument is the wrong way around. It would of course
be great if we had new space that was significantly easier to get than
the current address space, and which would also be cheap.

But this would be appealing mostly for new entities that have not
contributed to the current bloat in the system so far. For instance, I
would personally be interested in that sort of an address space.

I'm not sure it would affect the current growth in the routing table
much. Lets review some of the basic characteristics of the situation:

- Getting PI space is possible.

- The cost of acquiring such space is negligible for organizations that
would be in a position to employ it; far, far lower than the cost of
equipment, for instance.

True, but it's decidedly non-zero. To get PI, one currently has to spend time to justify the allocation. This takes effort (i.e., money). If we have an architecture in which being multi-homed is no longer a sufficient justification for PI allocation, then we can further raise this bar.

Effectively, we should be able to drastically limit or even eliminate PI allocations. Yes, I'm talking about making fundamental changes to the allocation policies that we have today.

- The organization is capable of fulfilling its need with the existing
technology as well.

Hopefully, the existing technology (PI addressing) will become harder to acquire.

- The organization does not bear the costs caused to the rest of the
Internet by the injection of global routes.

Given these, I find it unlikely that the availability of even lower cost
address space would somehow affect the decisions that the organization
takes.

We have to be taking the decision out of the hands of the organization and giving them a workable alternative. If not, then everyone will simply continue to use PI addressing and the non- scalability of the 'net is assured.

Tony