Re: [RRG] Mobility in the future -- civil aviation mobility

On Dec 6, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Fleischman, Eric wrote:

The VPN requirement recommendation was for air-ground and air-air
communications of devices or systems that have safety importance to
aircraft.

I am not aware of a security or safety reason that would require VPNing passenger communications from aircraft. One may debatably want to do it
for non-security or non-safety reasons such as consistency or
performance (e.g., an ATM study has tentatively concluded that there are
performance reasons to use VPN).

While some of the documents are old now, you might find some useful background at

http://www.multicasttech.com/mpi/

Regards
Marshall