Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures

Just a little clarification on the functionality of APT.  See comments
inline.

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 11:41 -0800, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Eliot,
>
> Mapping is sourced by the web page. Neither CE nor PE router. The web
> page allows to change ETR addresses as you like. ETR addresses
> modification is not related to the ISP connected to customer site. Such
> web page would be managed by whoever assigned you the EID for your site.

Actually, mapping information is flooded to all providers via a mapping
distribution protocol.  See our draft for details.

> ISP just provides ETR addresses for the PE-CE link. And you do not need
> to call anyone .. ISP as long as it operates would still announce his
> block. PE-CE interface you were using will be cleared once you stop
> paying for the service. That is normal process not much different from
> today.

Exactly.  Under APT, when a customer-provider contract terminates, the
provider will withdraw its mappings to the customer's EID prefixes.
Elliot, do you consider this an unacceptable violation of your 'provider
independence' principle?  Perhaps I am misunderstanding your criticism
of APT.

Salutations all,

Dan Jen