Re: Granularity (was Re: [RRG] ALT + NERD is inelegant & inefficient, compared to APT or Ivip)

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Another point is that a normal scenario for a dual homed site wishing
to change one of its ISPs would be to triple-home for a while (i.e.
add ISP C while retaining ISPs A and B) and then drop A or B once things
are stable with C. So changing from 2 to 3 and then back to 2 should
be a simple operation, not two changes of mode.
By changes of mode, presumably you mean multi-homed -> single-homed -> multi-homed?

I don't think that would be strictly necessary.

Each EID prefix is constructed based on a pair of upstreams.

However, there could be multiple EID prefixes, announced with different preferences on them.

They would be ABab, ACac, and BCbc. Sort them however you want, change them as C gets ironed out.

And eventually disconnect A or B, and magically the EIDs with A or B in them go away.

Obviously, in this scheme, removing an uplink could break existing connections, but I doubt that's a show-stopper.

Brian Dickson