Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

On Feb 8, 2008, at 8:43 PM, David Conrad wrote:

Stig,

On Feb 8, 2008, at 1:22 AM, Stig Venaas wrote:
I'm sure there could be other ways. Anyway, I believe such delays will
require changes in applications and/or host stacks.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but before looking at potential solutions, can you be a bit more specific in what you believe will require changes? Let's say you have a system that imposes a (say) 500 ms delay on the first packet of a flow (but no significant change in subsequent packets). Would you see a requirement for changes in UDP-based applications? Or would the changes just need to be in TCP-based applications?

It wouldn't necessarily change the kernel stack, but a 500 msec delay on every stream start would sure make video channel changing slow,. There is a lot of work going into making channel changing fast, and that work would become moot in this case.

Of course, a lot would depend on what is meant by "flow" above. If only the first packet from a /24 to a end user is
delayed, that would change little at the application layer.

Regards
Marshall

Thanks,
-drc