Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Marshall,

Thanks for the response.

On Feb 9, 2008, at 6:26 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
It wouldn't necessarily change the kernel stack, but a 500 msec delay on every stream start would sure make video channel changing slow,.

I'd be ecstatic if my Tivo could change channels faster than 3000 msecs (or could do it without getting the wrong channel 15% of the time, sigh), but that's neither here nor there.

There is a lot of work going into making channel changing fast, and that work would become moot in this case.

Right.

Of course, a lot would depend on what is meant by "flow" above. If only the first packet from a /24 to a end user is
delayed, that would change little at the application layer.

All channels would come from of the same address block? What are the current delay assumptions?

Regards,
-drc