Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:08:45PM -0800, David Conrad wrote:
> Lars,
>
> On Feb 12, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
>> Sure, and the concern isn't that apps and transports can't deal with
>> these events when they happen. However, dealing with these events
>> usually has some negative performance impact.
>
> Yes.  And if the negative performance impact is sufficiently great,
> software and/or protocols and/or expectations are modified.  Or at least
> they have been in the past.
>
>> The question is if any of the proposed layer-3 extensions increase the
>> probability of these events happening to a degree where user-perceived
>> performance is significantly impacted.
>>
>> And the answer may well be "no, they don't",
>
> I'm sure they do.  Once again and with feeling: TANSTAAFL.
>
> I'm a bit confused.  I thought we're talking here about modifying a key
> component of the underlying Internet architecture for the long term.
> Such modification will have both positive and negative impacts.  The
> question isn't whether or not there will be an impact, rather the
> question is (or should be) does the benefit outweigh the cost.
>
> Conceptually, as far as I can tell, we have a tradeoff.  All things
> being equal and relative to each other:
>
> 1) push-based systems will
>
> a) not significantly increase latency/packet loss
> b) be less scalable
> c) allow less dynamicity
>
> 2) pull-based systems will
>
> a) increase latency/packet loss, at least for the first packet of a new
> 'flow'
> b) be more scalable
> c) permit more dynamicity
>
> Does anyone disagree with these assumptions?

	I for one don't, but might note that

	(i).	b) and c) are related by the (rate*state) product, and

	(ii). (rate*state) interacts strongly with a)

	For example, a push based model would (in theory) inflate
	the amount of state that some systems must carry while
	(in theory) minimizing lookup latency, while with a
	pull model, you minimize state but (in theory) increase
	lookup latency. Update rate would seem to be an issue in
	both cases (only for different reasons).

	The point being that the mapping system proposals we've
	seen represent points in an (at least) 3-dimensional
	space (rate, state, latency); where you land in that
	space encodes the tradeoffs made in the mapping system
	design.

>> but I'd be good to back that statement up with data.
>
> I agree data should be collected and loudly applaud the efforts of Dino
> et al. in writing actual code (I personally don't trust mathematical
> models as long ago I saw one too many models demonstrating how ATM was a
> perfect answer, regardless of the question).

	There is something to pragmatism, isn't there.

> However, from a conceptual point of view, I don't see how we
> can get away from the tradeoffs I mention above.

	"Well, not unless you can alter time, speed up the
	harvest, or teleport me off this rock."

	But really, the tradeoffs you outline are fundamental
	(i.e., there is a physics to all of this).

> Whether or not you find option (1) or option (2) acceptable
> will likely largely depend on the assumptions you make going in
> -- we can all come up with scenarios that are unacceptable for
> either option.

	Yep. The important point you are making is that there are
	tradeoffs made in each design, and those tradeoffs need
	to be evaluated the in light of actual data/experience
	(at least I think that is what you are saying).

	And will one size fit all? Does one size need to fit all?
	Hard to say at this point.

> From my perspective, looking at how the Internet has evolved over time,
> scalability and dynamic behavior have been areas in which we've been
> bitten time and time again. We continue to see increased deaggregation.
> We continue to see increased growth.  We continue to see increased
> dynamic behavior.  We also see increased bandwidth, cheaper memory,
> faster processors, etc. I don't see these changes reversing or even
> slowing down over time.  Thus, it seems to me we should anticipate and
> optimize for these changes instead of optimizing for the way things have
> been.

	Excellent point, and I most strongly agree.

	Dave