Re: [RRG] Moving forward... IPv4 now, IPv6 less urgent and perhaps more ambitious

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Marshall Eubanks
<tme@multicasttech.com> wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2008, at 10:14 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> http://bill.herrin.us/network/bgpcost.html
> To put it another way, that prefix is worth the money.

Marshall,

Only to the folks who originate the prefix. To everyone else its a
large unrecoverable cost.

Which, by the way, suggests an approach to solving RRG's problem that
we haven't seriously explored: how can we systematically arrange for
the folks who originate a prefix to pay the folks who carry the
prefix?

It's OK for core routers to cost $10M, *IF* that cost can be recovered
from the folks whose routes cause it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--