Re: [RRG] Moving forward... IPv4 now, IPv6 less urgent and perhaps more ambitious

Bill,

On Jun 10, 2008, at 1:00 PM, William Herrin wrote:
Which, by the way, suggests an approach to solving RRG's problem that
we haven't seriously explored: how can we systematically arrange for
the folks who originate a prefix to pay the folks who carry the
prefix?

Long ago, there was an attempt to look into this (IETF PIARA (Pricing of Internet Addresses and Routing Announcements) BoF). If I remember correctly, the routing part of it broke down because no one could figure out how to get folks to pay (see "Tragedy of the Commons"). Not sure if things have changed.

It sort of looks a bit like carbon credits...

Regards,
-drc