Re: [RRG] Logistics preferences...

On 7 aug 2008, at 7:46, Lixia Zhang wrote:

but as others have pointed out:
- we did not have many people left after the afternoon break
 last Friday (could be partly due to the 3rd bullet).

We don't know whether this was because:

- friday afternoon never works
- friday afternoon doesn't work in a non-hub city in Europe
- the afternoon presentations weren't compelling in this case

- it'd be good to have a break between 2 halves of the meeting,
 so one has some time to think through and chat.

Hm... But everyone reads all the drafts and papers, right? I'm not sure that having two half-days with random stuff in the middle will work better than a full day without the random stuff.

The only thing I do now is that in Philadelphia, I didn't get a chance to attend RRG because it clashed with other stuff. Whole days on fridays have the lowest probability of clashing with other stuff and traveling/not traveling on friday afternoon is at least a choice, if not always one that's going to be made in favor of attending the RRG session.

- If I rephrase Dave Conrad's comments in a different way:
 people tend to get exhausted by the end of the week,
 half day on Friday is OK, but all-day Friday seems a bit
 stretching.

If they get exhausted that means they're having a busy week... Hard to add 7 hours of RRG to that week.

As for Sunday, that wouldn't work for IAB and IESG folk, and
I think it's desirable that they can attend.

agree here.
But maybe it's possible to squeeze out a few hours Sunday evening (e.g. 6:30-9:00PM)?

This is far from ideal for those flying in from the east on saturday or sunday. (I.e., for me it's 7 hours time difference for Minneapolis so 2100 = 2800 = 0400 = the middle of the night = no useful brain activity. I'm glad we don't meet until 2200 anymore, this was brutal, especially on mondays.)

The annoying thing is that I never have much to do on sunday afternoon because nobody ever wants to schedule anything then because of the IAB/ IESG stuff.

How about:

- presentations of drafts and papers etc on sunday afternoon, those who can't attend can read them beforehand
- discussions on friday morning