Re: [RRG] Consensus check: renumbering - missing dimension

On Aug 24, 2008, at 6:22 PM, Tony Li wrote:

Do folks really feel that stateless autoconfig is a significant step forward vs. DHCP? Current dual-stack site admins would be especially welcome to
opine.

Tony

When we enabled IPv6 on our whole campus network the main issue was that autoconfig did not give our security folks a log of the MAC to IP mapping over time. So we set up some scripts to grab the Neighbor Cache periodically as a temporary solution until we implemented DHCPv6. I've talked to several other universities who have either implemented equivalent scripts (even earlier than us) or plan to as they implement IPv6.

Looking more closely at DHCPv6 our Neighbor Cache scripts may be more permanent than we planned since the client id in DHCPv6 may be based on the MAC of any interface on the host which is different than DHCP in IPv4 where the client id was based on the MAC of the interface the DHCP request came from. It looks like there is a reason for the difference, I just didn't spot the difference earlier. Any MAC address on the machine will help our security folks identify a machine but on the practical side we find it quite useful to block the MAC addresses of hosts, for example if they are compromised etc. And for the MAC blocking to be successful we need to have the correct MAC that a host uses on a given subnet.

Longer term, security aside, we also will want DHCPv6 for more purely network administration reasons. We have had devices from unix workstations to lightweight Access Points and VoIP phones that learn extra info via DHCP. The workstations learned the address of tftp servers, the APs the addresses of controllers and the phones several different IP addresses. The APs now have at least two other methods of learning the IPs of the controllers and long term it is possible that phones would provide options other than DHCP also. But in addition to learning extra addresses we have also used the vendor class info to assign devices to different IP pools based on the vendor.

I expect that just as we will have both IPv4 and IPv6 in our campus for quite a while we will likely be using both DHCPv6 and autoconfig for quite a while (especially with vendors like Apple saying they have no plans to implement DHCPv6).

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University