Re: [RRG] Consensus check: renumbering - missing dimension

On 26 aug 2008, at 17:30, Templin, Fred L wrote:

clients can contact relays via link-local
multicast.

That is exactly the problem. On 802.11 networks multicasts are sent at a very low speed for compatibility and because there are no ACKs for multicasts, so they use up a lot of airtime/bandwidth.

The hack that I was talking about would be for accesspoints to not repeat multicasts from clients on the wireless network. (I'm guessing this would make the network at IETF meetings a lot faster during plenaries.)