Re: addition of TLV to locator ID or locator ID set

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Erik Nordmark wrote:

Sure. But that assumes that the hosts know their addresses.

They do. It would be the address they are using.

As I understood it, a host would configure its IPv6 address as today (stateless, DHCPv6, etc). And the shim proxy would form a HBA parameter set (based on the prefixes assigned to the site) for each host and run a 1:1 NAT. In that case the host doesn't know which IPv6 address the proxy has picked for it.

The proxy wouldn't pick addresses, it would only map prefixes. So the end-host inside the shimmed area could use a CGA address (thanks btw for helping me to prod my brain into grokking them offline ;) ). Ie:

host uses: <prefix>:<CGA interface identifier>

(a shim6 ULID essentially, even if the host isn't quite aware of this).

Proxy: maps <prefix> to <LocatorN> according to established shim6
       protocols.

Or where you thinking that the host could only use DHCPv6 and the shim proxy and the DHCP server would coordinate things so that the host is informed of its shimmed addresses?

The host might /only/ have a shimmed address.

It might also have other addresses, I don't know. Sadly there isn't a good way that I know of to indicate metrics for prefix-advertisements.

You mean you assume it is ok to publish unreachable addresses in the DNS?

Why wouldn't it be exactly? Publishing something in DNS is no guarantee of reachability. It would be /intended/ to be reachable, via shim6.

The taboo was on non-globally-unique addresses in DNS, i thought?

Even if folks agree on that, the fact that the internal hosts would see both the local/internal address, and the shimmed addresses, would mean that they might seeming randomly end up using the shimmed addresses, and such internal communication ends up going via the proxy.

Not sure why that'd be so. It's an interior routing issue.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: