Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Re: 9/9/2004 IP6.INT Removal (Was: 9/9/2006 : ip6.int shutdown?)

[itojun copied as he replied on something similar but on the sig-ipv6
list]

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 21:59, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 03:59:35AM +0000, bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > > So the whole delegation thing is broken. The int. TLD servers delegate
> > > ip6.int to imag.imag.fr which feels it self authoritative, but isn't
> > > in the NS RRset of the ip6.int zone. And ip6.int is delegated to
> > > munnari.oz.au which doesn't know about this (anymore).
> >
> > 	so... this was apparently enough to get the attention it
> > 	deserved.  the long postponed migration from imag.imag.fr.
> > 	to ns3.nic.fr. is now "done" and imag.imag.fr. has been removed
> > 	from the NS list in the INT zone.
> > 	and munnari.oz.au has been removed.  -  more cleanup in the
> > 	next week or two.
>
> Well, two weeks down the road and things got even worse:
>
> NS list summary for ip6.int. from parent (int.) servers
>   == flag.ep.net. ns3.nic.fr. y.ip6.int.
>   == z.ip6.int.
>
> $ dig @flag.ep.net. int. SOA +norec | fgrep status:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 9740
> $ dig @ns3.nic.fr int. SOA +norec | fgrep status:
> $ dig @y.ip6.int int. SOA +norec | fgrep status:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 17872
> $ dig @z.ip6.int int. SOA +norec
>
> So we have 3 out of 4 servers totally broken.
>
> Looks like the importance of ip6.int is way overstated by some folks.

I guess the people running the servers have found out that ip6.int is
not that important and nicely let it rot away, apparently not enough/no
people complain thus this is a good thing. It is quite bad to see that
these 'important' (ahem) services have been so recklessly managed over
the last couple of years.

I hope the 'powers that be' see that it is just better to remove the
ip6.int servers entirely and officially, that way at least people can
know why they are broken: because they have been deprecated 3 years ago.

Greets,
 Jeroen