Re: Architectural argument for RAs [Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP]

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 21-sep-2007, at 1:26, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

For example, learning default gateways via Router
  Advertisements provides perfect fate sharing.

I was saving this remark up for when we get to see the "do everything with DHCPv6" draft, but this is as good a time as any:

If we decide to go forward with putting gateway addresses in DHCPv6 to gain administrative control over which gateway a host uses, in my opinion, the only way we can do this without the potential for serious harm is to make require that the same gateway address is both available in DHCPv6 and in RAs. So the DHCP information is more like selection mechanism between gateways in RAs than the authoritative source of the information itself.

Well at least you're finally making your argument explicit. You want RAs to be mandatory for everyone, but you don't want us to mandate the use of DHCP for you. Okey dokey.

And I agree with James' vision: having servers announce their service through a discovery mechanism is more robust than having an outside system enumerate them.

This part I agree with. I think mDNS has a very bright future, and makes total sense in the "stateless autoconfiguration" case. "Well known addresses" is a path we should not go down.

Doug

--

	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough