Re: Architectural argument for RAs [Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP]

On 2007-09-24 19:29, Alvaro Vives Martinez wrote:

-----Mensaje original-----
De: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org] En nombre
de Iljitsch van Beijnum
Enviado el: viernes, 21 de septiembre de 2007 17:04
Para: Brian E Carpenter
CC: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Asunto: Re: Architectural argument for RAs [Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP]

On 21-sep-2007, at 1:26, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

 For example, learning default gateways via Router
   Advertisements provides perfect fate sharing.
I was saving this remark up for when we get to see the "do everything
with DHCPv6" draft, but this is as good a time as any:

If we decide to go forward with putting gateway addresses in DHCPv6
to gain administrative control over which gateway a host uses, in my
opinion, the only way we can do this without the potential for
serious harm is to make require that the same gateway address is both
available in DHCPv6 and in RAs. So the DHCP information is more like
selection mechanism between gateways in RAs than the authoritative
source of the information itself.

Following this line, would it make sense that the DHCPv6 server gets the
gateway(s) information from existing RAs? This would allow the host to
obtain "fresh" info and the host to fully be configured by means of DHCPv6
(this seems to be a need for some people).

That sounds right in principle, but what happens if the default gateway
is also acting as a DHCP relay, i.e. the DHCP server is on another subnet
and cannot see the local RAs?

    Brian

Regards,
Alvaro Vives
Consulintel

And I agree with James' vision: having servers announce their service
through a discovery mechanism is more robust than having an outside
system enumerate them.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org