Re: Follow-up work on NAT-PT

On 2007-11-12 04:35, Christian Huitema wrote:
From: Gert Doering [mailto:gert@space.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:59 AM

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 08:12:27AM -0800, Christian Huitema wrote:
Implementing "dual stack" is not much harder than implementing "IPv6
only", so this is pretty much a no-brainer.
I want to challenge that.  How are you going to implement "dual stack"
if no more IPv4 addresses are available?

I meant "implementing dual stack in a device". Suppose you have built an IPv6 capable device. The added requirements for supporting IPv4 boils down to DHCPv4 client, ARP support, and a little bit of glue. That really is not a lot of "real estate".

All true, but if you dispute the IAB's statement please
talk to the IAB. I've decided to stop being a purist on this
and see what can really be done to mitigate the problems with
NAT-PT. I suspect that if the IETF doesn't do this, then the
deprecation of NAT-PT will be a complete no-op.

    Brian