Re: elmo-use-database?

on Fri Dec 11 2009, Per B. Sederberg <psederberg-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> I know it's a bit much for your specific desire, but I've been using
> offlineimap to download my All Mail folder from GMail, which I then
> index with mairix, and then search mairix from within WL.

I had exactly that setup working here with Gnus.  It didn't seem to make
things any faster than it was using my company's IMAP server, and I had
to wait for offlineimap to sync up, and I was concerned about the cost
to my laptop's battery life.  Finally, I didn't find Mairix to be
super-useful...

> Mairix has the ability to mairix-search-thread-this-article,

...but I never tried that particular function.  And checking its docs, I
never saw the optional "threads" argument to mairix-search before.  So
maybe I need to go back to trying mairix.

> which will give me all the emails I've sent or received in that thread
> (and mighty fast, too).

Okay, I have some questions:

1. I forget how those results show up with Gnus, but I think it's a
   virtual group, which then interacts a bit strangely with the rest of
   the system.  When you say "give me all the emails..." what do you
   get?

2. This is the crucial one: will it find messages in the thread from
   folders other than the one I'm currently browsing?

> It also has the great side-effect of having access to all my
> gmail whilst offline.
>
> I'd be happy to share various config files in my setup if you're
> interested.

Thanks; that could turn out to be very helpful!

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing