Re: elmo-use-database?

At Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:12:02 -0500,
David Abrahams wrote:

> on Fri Dec 11 2009, Per B. Sederberg <psederberg-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I know it's a bit much for your specific desire, but I've been using
> > offlineimap to download my All Mail folder from GMail, which I then
> > index with mairix, and then search mairix from within WL.
>
> I had exactly that setup working here with Gnus.  It didn't seem to make
> things any faster than it was using my company's IMAP server, and I had
> to wait for offlineimap to sync up, and I was concerned about the cost
> to my laptop's battery life.  Finally, I didn't find Mairix to be
> super-useful...

Yes, that's the main problem with the setup.  I decided that I only
needed to sync my All Mail every 15min, so that drastically cut down
on the wasted battery.  Also, if you are willing to use the devel
version of offlineimap there are a number of great features added in
that allow you to only pay attention to a specified date range when
syncing, which I've heard can greatly increase sync times (I don't use
it yet.)

> > Mairix has the ability to mairix-search-thread-this-article,
>
> ...but I never tried that particular function.  And checking its docs, I
> never saw the optional "threads" argument to mairix-search before.  So
> maybe I need to go back to trying mairix.

Yes, mairix-search-thread-this-article is pretty much the best search
function available.  I use it all the time.

> > which will give me all the emails I've sent or received in that thread
> > (and mighty fast, too).
>
> Okay, I have some questions:
>
> 1. I forget how those results show up with Gnus, but I think it's a
>    virtual group, which then interacts a bit strangely with the rest of
>    the system.  When you say "give me all the emails..." what do you
>    get?

I think the emails come back as a virtual folder in WL.  I've been
able to reply to emails in that folder just fine, but I've never paid
attention to whether replying to an email in a virtual folder marks
that email in your inbox as replied.  I don't care about this, but
I've heard that this is a problem for others...

> 2. This is the crucial one: will it find messages in the thread from
>    folders other than the one I'm currently browsing?

I think mairix will return messages from all the folders that you have
it indexing.  In my case I read mail in my inbox, which only has a
handful of messages in it, and I have mairix search my All Mail, which
includes all the messages in Gmail (both sent and received).  This
means that when I'm on an individual email in my WL Summary (and there
are no other emails from that thread in my inbox) and run
mairix-search-thread-this-article I get dropped in a virtual folder
with all the emails from that thread, including the emails sent by me,
which is exactly what I want (b/c it's like the gmail conversation
interface.)

> > It also has the great side-effect of having access to all my
> > gmail whilst offline.
> >
> > I'd be happy to share various config files in my setup if you're
> > interested.
>
> Thanks; that could turn out to be very helpful!

I've attached a muse file with a quick summary of my setup for using
mairix with wl and gmail.  Let me know if you have any questions about
it.

Best,
Per