Re: error while sending mail

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:
> [...]
[...]
>     In such a case where byte codes appear in a Lisp backtrace,

[...]

> thanks, that was valuable information for me. however, doing this results in
> a messy debug output which i can't make any sense of. i'd be greatful if
> anyone can, otherwise i guess i will try reinstalling wanderlust.

>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
>   signal(wrong-type-argument (arrayp nil))
>   (condition-case err (smtp-send-buffer sender recipients (current-buffer))
> (error (wl-draft-write-sendlog ... ... smtp-server recipients id) (if ...

I see.  The real error is concealed by the `condition-case' form.
I guess there's something missing in setting of `smtp-*' values.
When I used smtp.el that FLIM provides in the past, I had:

(setq smtp-default-server "smtp.example.com"
     smtp-server smtp-default-server
     smtp-local-domain "local.domain.name"
     smtp-fqdn smtp-local-domain)

Where "smtp.example.com" should be substituted with the smtp
server name that you use, and "local.domain.name" should be
substituted with the generic name of the domain where you're in
("gmail.com" ?).  How about that?

Otherwise, let's try examining what `smtp-send-buffer' does.  To
do that:

1. Start Emacs and Wanderlust as usual.
2. Load smtp.el. -> M-x load-file RET smtp.el RET
3. Copy this form to the *scratch* buffer:

(with-temp-buffer
 (let ((adrs "sebhofer@gmail.com"))
 (insert "From: " adrs "\nTo: " adrs "\n\ntest.\n")
 (smtp-send-buffer adrs (list adrs) (current-buffer))))

4. Type `C-j' at the end of the last line of the form.  Note that
  this form tries to send a test mail From: you To: you by using
  the same method Wanderlust uses.

And you will probably get a backtrace that exposes the evil the
function does.

i'm still totally puzzled...
first, i'm using the the following code to setup the information for the smtp server

(setq wl-from "Sebastian Hofer <sebhofer@gmail.com>"
        wl-local-domain "xxx"
        wl-message-id-domain "xxx"

        wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls
        wl-smtp-posting-port 587
        wl-smtp-authenticate-type "plain"
        wl-smtp-posting-user "xxx"
        wl-smtp-posting-server "xxx")

but i do not set the variables you provided above.
second, if i do set them to the right values and then evaluate the second snippet of code than everything works. still, sending mail with the compose-mail command fails with the same error.