Re: wl newbie, various questions

At Fri, 15 Jun 2012 14:53:58 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
> Hi Francesco,
>
> At Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:42:59 +0100,
> Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
> >
> > […]
> >
> > Well, you definitely need the headers since the matching is done on
> > those.
> >
> > The problem with that workflow is that I'm on some high volume mailing
> > lists that I don't follow that closely, and it's quite annoying to see
> > those messages in my inbox when I'm not interested in them.
>
> I just did a quick check: WL fetches only the message headers for an
> auto-refile.
>
> You can use `t R` to mark a thread read, `r R` to mark a region read,
> or even use `?` to search, then `m R` to mark the “picked” messages as
> read. Anyhow, it works for me with high-volume lists. Your mileage may
> vary.

This pretty much describes my workflow.  In this day and age lots of
listservers are archived so I've moved away from subscribing to
anything that I'm not really interested in.  Not to mention gmane, web
forums etc.

Otherwise, you may want to investigate whether your upstream IMAP
server support sieve scripts, wh/are in my experience, the best way to
automate handling large volumes of email scattered throughout numerous
mail lists.  Filtering then occurs server side as messages come in so
there's no lag client side waiting on hundreds/thousands of messages
to be processed.

Regards-- Ken