Re: wl newbie, various questions

At Sat, 16 Jun 2012 00:01:53 +0100,
Francesco Mazzoli wrote:

> > This pretty much describes my workflow.  In this day and age lots of
> > listservers are archived so I've moved away from subscribing to
> > anything that I'm not really interested in.  Not to mention gmane, web
> > forums etc.
>
> That is true, I should probably unsubscribe from a couple of MLs I
> don't follow closely.
>
> > Otherwise, you may want to investigate whether your upstream IMAP
> > server support sieve scripts, wh/are in my experience, the best way to
> > automate handling large volumes of email scattered throughout numerous
> > mail lists.  Filtering then occurs server side as messages come in so
> > there's no lag client side waiting on hundreds/thousands of messages
> > to be processed.
>
> The problem is that I am forced to use 2 emails which surely don't
> provide that (work and university), and I'd like to have a solution
> that works for all of them, so that I don't have to spend time tuning
> the configuration in different places.

Ah, yeah, I forgot from OP that you were on gmail.  Otherwise sieve
scripts rock:

<http://www.rfc-archive.org/getrfc.php?rfc=5804>

Cyrus IMAP server supports them.  Dovecot has, in recent years, become
essentially defacto standard IMAP server for hosting companies.  Early
versions of Dovecot did not support sieve scripts and I'm unsure as to
whether current versions of Dovecot do, but Timo (the guy who
initially brought us Irssi) is pretty on the ball hacker so I wouldn't
be surprised if recent version do.  If so, like I said, sieve scripts
are _the_ way to go for managing high volume mailing lists that you're
more interested in archiving than eyeballing each and every message.

> Tbh, it worked pretty well with thunderbird, but I hated thunderbird
> interface...

In the beginning... T-Bird was a nothing short of a godsend and very
welcome alternative the tripe available in an M$ centric world.
Trouble is, that, in the search for ever increasing mind share,
Mozilla has lost connection with it's *nix roots.  So while it's
defacto install on a new Winblows box, I can't seem to abide by it on
*nix.

Be all that as it may...  recent versions of T-Bird sport a
"conversation view" feature.  This would be dandy to have in
Wanderlust.  Given the renowned extensibility of Emacs, I'm pretty
sure I can cobble something together.  However, I don't code e/lisp so
not high on my to-do list at present.

Regards-- Ken