Re: SMTP port specification

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 09:39:45PM +0100, Herbert J. Skuhra wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 14:35:48 -0500
> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> wrote:
>
> > I had assumed that setting the From line as above is ignored by the
> > server, which cares only about the envelope name. Am I wrong?
>
> C-h v wl-envelope-from
>
> I don't see wl-envelope-from in your ~/.wl.

Herbert,

With (setq wl-envelope-from "brownh@historicalmaterialism.info")
added, I'm still getting an error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  signal(wrong-type-argument (arrayp nil))
  byte-code ("..." [smtp-server recipients id err smtp-sasl-user-name
  smtp-sasl-mechanisms wl-draft-write-sendlog failed
  smtp smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s"
  signal server mechanism user] 6)
  wl-draft-send-mail-with-smtp()
  wl-draft-dispatch-message()
  wl-draft-normal-send-func(#<buffer +draft/12> t)
  wl-draft-send(t)
  wl-draft-send-and-exit()
  call-interactively(wl-draft-send-and-exit nil nil)

I don't understand the debug syntax. For example, does "err" refer to
"smtp-server recipients id" or to "smtp-sasl-user-name"? Also, this
suggests that writing to sendlog failed, but in fact the outgoing
messages is recorded there, although it failed to get out.

Response error 535 means I'm not being authenticated. Is this because
the passwd has wrong format? I might inject here that my PW contains
an ampersand. Perhaps wl does not like them. Once in a while that
happens.

Is the debug saying that the format of my UID is garbled? I understood
"posting-user" to refer to the address of the sender. I have:

  (setq wl-smtp-posting-user "brownh@historicalMaterialism.info")

I also have this set of lines in .wl:

  (setq wl-from "Haines Brown <Haines@histomat.net>")
  (setq wl-message-id-use-message-from nil)

Is this the right combination if I set wl-from to be other than
the outgoing envelop address?

Haines