Re: wanderlust is sooo slooowww...

At Tue, 28 Oct 2014 00:21:57 -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> So if I read this correctly (and it's getting late here...) there is
> a problem when token or quoted string is longer than 8K bytes.
>
> So why would essentially same search trigger this in recent versions
> of WL but not earlier?

Hi all,

I have noticed previously that Wanderlust makes more requests to the
IMAP server than are strictly necessary, especially when using a
filter folder (i.e., IMAP search). Ken’s query prompted me to research
this. I have discovered three places where Wanderlust’s IMAP code
generates more traffic than needed, and have written some fixes for
this.

1. When running a search against a mailbox, WL sends the complete list
of UIDs in the mailbox to IMAP as part of the search, which is
unnecessary. Fixed here:

  https://github.com/egh/wanderlust/commit/101713654d70a9dc2559b28e4a7e32e32fb28015

2. When syncing a filter folder, WL will sync the target folder,
although the messages returned from the search are the same as they
were before. Fixed here:

  https://github.com/egh/wanderlust/commit/478ab60addd5b40f87a5d661df3559308c2561ef

3. When syncing a filter folder, after receiving a list of searched
messages, WL will attempt to perform a complete sync. This complete
sync is not necessary because we know there are no deletions, only new
messages. This is fixed here:

  https://github.com/egh/wanderlust/commit/ccfe4c0c32db9e8eb68243be2bcd291a449f632d

I have combined these into a pull request.

  https://github.com/wanderlust/wanderlust/pull/76

I have tested these myself, but if anybody could spare the time to
test them I would appreciate it!

best, Erik

--
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.