RE: [PWE3] draft-ietf-pwe3-ethernet-encap-02.txt: Tagged mode

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Well that really gets to the heart of my original point: is the IETF in
> the business of writing good standards or of rubber-stamping existing
> implementations and deployments?

Good standards can not be looked at in isolation from existing
deployments. IETF is not a research body. There is a tradeoff between an
ideal standard and existing usage/deployment. In this case IMHO the
balance is towards existing usage/deployment as leaving the tagged mode
doesn't add undue complexity.

rahul

It's high time the IESG made a decision