RE: [PWE3] draft-ietf-pwe3-ethernet-encap-02.txt: Tagged mode

--On 20. mars 2003 19:12 -0800 Andrew Smith <ah_smith@acm.org> wrote:

Well that really gets to the heart of my original point: is the IETF in
the business of writing good standards or of rubber-stamping existing
implementations and deployments? It's high time the IESG made a decision
on this, specifically in the sub-IP area, and enforced whatever it
decides its policy to be by culling and pruning WGs and/or WG products
appropriately.
Andrew,

the IETF is in the business of doing what makes the Internet work.

In most cases, this means writing good standards. (not that we always manage to get even that part right!)

In many cases, those good standards need to describe how to live with existing implementations of things, some of which are the product of different traditions, some of which have questionable value, and some of which are downright stupid; some of this will have the *appearance* of blessing the non-IETF thing (IP over ATM, anyone?), and some of it will be used by proponents of that other thing as proof of "the IETF likes this", no matter how carefully we construct our documents to say differently.

And sometimes, of course, there are things that are just right, and the IETF should bless them and move on, rather than to succumb to the "not invented here" syndrome and invent Yet Another Way To Do It.

I have no idea which of those categories the particular topic you raise is in; the experts in the technology are part of the working group (I sincerely hope!), and we need to see the arguments from the working group before deciding.

This is not a yes/no answer to your question. But I hope it's still useful....

Harald