Re: Plenary Format - discussion notes

At 15 Aug 2003 09:03:03 -0700, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> I wouldn't say assertion so much as acknowledgement. The IESG
> (and to a lesser extent the IAB) has a quite significant amount
> of authority over the IETF. I think it's therefore incumbent
> on us to sit up there and behave like it.
>
> Think of it as representative democracy if you like.

and in the culture that formed most of my opinions about the way
people interact politically, sitting up on a stage as a visible symbol
of leadership would have been considered arrogant in the extreme.
different people are comfortable with different symbols, and one
should chose one's symbols carefully, for one may be forced to live
with them.

"we're all bozos on this bus"