Re: [RRG] December meeting: call for contributions

David,

But not having a schedule whatsoever is not likely to get us anywhere
within finite time either.

Nor will having a schedule.

Some planning and scheduling does help to get any project to complete.
Whether it is a research project or any other project.

We should then agree to disagree.  We are in a position where we have
volunteer contributors. Those who are working on their existing proposals
are executing well, but those who are working on upcoming
new proposals are simply unknown to us.  We can schedule them until the
cows come home, but that will not cause them to deliver.

For example, set a review date by which we are going to do a
preliminary review that will throw out at least some of the proposals so that we don't have to spend time on every meeting on every proposal
even if we already know that it is not going to be the solution.

Not necessary. So far, proposals seem to be pretty much self- selecting.

What do you mean by this ? How is "self-selecting" supposed to work if
any proposal gets meeting time at the cost of spending less time on
the more promising proposals ?

There are numerous proposals that have been presented that have
effectively thrown themselves out by ceasing to progress.  I invite you
to visit our wiki page (http://www3.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/ wiki/RoutingResearchGroup) for
a more complete list.  Also you might want to review the agendas of the
last two meetings, also on our wiki page, to see exactly the breadth
of what we've covered. Suffice it to say that after all of these proposal
have been reviewed, we appear to only have a few remaining evolving
proposals.

As to meeting time, what we've tried to do is to slant the agenda
heavily in favor of new proposals as we're still in the exploratory
phase, trying to understand the solution space.  Existing proposals
that wish to give us updates are certainly accommodated.  I invite you
to look at the net amount of time that LISP got at the last meeting.

As with the IETF, the RRG meetings are not the sole venue for making
progress on a proposal.  Any proposal is more than welcome to work
offline, form their own mailing lists and interact privately.  The RRG
mailing list and our wiki page are also available for those who prefer
to have broader involvement.  For proposals that feel that this is still
not enough time, they are welcome to follow the initiative that the
LISP team has done and ask for their own independent meeting
time.

Tony