Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures

Robert,

On Jan 8, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Robert Raszuk wrote:

That is good observation ... but I want to also point out that there is already a deployed technology to offer prefix independent convergence.

So far deployed within an AS scope .. but very possible to be deployed system-wide if we go to two tier BGP hierarchy.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm no expert in PIC, but it would seem to address purely the cases where there is little state flux in the control plane. Consider the case of when a new router first joins the BGP mesh today. This is when we will see the biggest impact in the number of prefixes carried.

We have said that control plane is pretty much not the issue. So perhaps we should shift the discussion into ways to fit control plane into data plane so PIC would be achievable system-wide ?

I guess I'm disagreeing with you. The control plane is very much the issue. The control plane *mechanism* is not the issue, but the scalability of the data manipulated by the control plane very much is at issue.

Regards,
Tony