Re: Granularity (was Re: [RRG] ALT + NERD is inelegant & inefficient, compared to APT or Ivip)

Excerpts from David Conrad on Wed, Jan 23, 2008 07:11:00PM -0800:
> Brian,
>
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Brian Dickson wrote:
>> It may be that rather than having one problem/solution match-up to
>> consider, that there are two:
>>
>> dual-homed multi-homed (N>2)
>>
>> I'd argue that the requirements of each differ, and there can be
>> significant scaling benefits from splitting them out, and handling
>> each separately.
>> What do folks think?
>
> My gut feeling (FWIW) is that this would be a mistake.  The
> assumptions that you make differentiating the N=2 vs. N>2 cases
> appear to be subjective and dependent on life as we know it now, not
> life as how we might reasonably project it to be.  What is to say
> that in the 'near' (for some value of that variable) future, I won't
> want my cellphone router connecting my PAN multi-homed to the (say)
> 6 cellular providers it can find signal for?
>
> I'm not sure that coming up with an architecture that builds in
> these sorts of assumptions won't end up biting us painfully in the
> end.

Historically that's usually what's happened when we explored this kind
of distinction, in any area.  In the end it just wasn't worth it and
we reverted to a single general class.

There was a time when we considered special ASNs for multihomed sites.
What happened to that idea?

Scott