Re: Granularity (was Re: [RRG] ALT + NERD is inelegant & inefficient, compared to APT or Ivip)

Scott Brim wrote:
Historically that's usually what's happened when we explored this kind
of distinction, in any area.  In the end it just wasn't worth it and
we reverted to a single general class.

There was a time when we considered special ASNs for multihomed sites.
What happened to that idea?
I think you are thinking of single-homed sites with "special" ASNs.

Those are "private" ASNs >65000 (reserved range), and those are in use today. They get removed by the upstream, and are not seen outside of the upstream's AS.

The RFCs and code from multiple vendors supports this.

So, thank you for providing an example where special cases *do* work, and do work well. :-)

Brian Dickson