Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

On 2008-2-13, at 11:57, ext Stig Venaas wrote:
The main thing IMO is to have scalable routing, and some
in-optimal application behaviour or host/stack/application
changes may be a small price to pay.

Makes complete sense from a routing perspective, because someone else is feeling the pain and the routers are seeing the gain.

But there are maybe a few million routers in the world, and maybe even fewer for which scalability is a serious issue, compared to a few billion hosts. Deploying something new at the network layer that might require changes to host stacks or applications to maintain performance at current levels would be a non-starter.

Lars, it's not an either or thing, and just because there are more hosts than routers or whatever metric you want to use, there *is* going to be pain. We can share it or we can put it all in one place.

My experience is, if you wanted to put it all in one place, you really can't. So we are going to share it.

Dino

Lars