Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

On 2008-2-13, at 20:15, ext Dino Farinacci wrote:
Lars, it's not an either or thing, and just because there are more hosts than routers or whatever metric you want to use, there *is* going to be pain. We can share it or we can put it all in one place.

I agree it's not an either-or decision. And it is actually possible to combing routing scalability changes with other changes at the internetworking layer, so that application and transport performance *increases* rather than decreases.

For example, an RRG proposal that attempted to offset lookup-induced delays/inefficiencies through enabling QuickStart/XCP/RCP or maybe some other to-be-defined explicit feedback scheme would be *extremely* interesting, IMO.

(Yes, making use of the explicit feedback will require changes to the hosts, too. But at least there'd be a strong incentive for the hosts to change.)

Lars