Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

David Conrad wrote:
> Lars,
>
> On Feb 13, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
>> But there are maybe a few million routers in the world, and maybe even
>> fewer for which scalability is a serious issue, compared to a few
>> billion hosts. Deploying something new at the network layer that might
>> require changes to host stacks or applications to maintain performance
>> at current levels would be a non-starter.
>
> We already have to change host stacks and applications to support IPv6.
> Given the minimal deployment of IPv6 to date, particularly within the
> application space, this doesn't seem like a non-starter to me.
>
> And to be clear, most applications that exist today (that have been
> ported to IPv6) wouldn't need to change.  Even in the worst case pure
> pull-based system, the only applications that would need to change would
> be those that are very sensitive to delays in the initial flow RTT.  To

I agree

> date, there has been mention of one (channel changing) on this list.

I'm not sure if channel changing need to pose a problem. E.g. if they
can be streamed from the same source address. If they are streamed from
multiple addresses but covered by the same locator mapping (assuming
that you can get a single id-prefix/range to locator mapping from the
mapping service), this might also be fine.

> I'm sure there are others and I'd be interested in understanding their
> constraints, but I imagine those applications are in a distinct minority.

I'm thinking of trying to study some particular application, or DNS
resolve implementation or something, myself. If I find some time to
spare...

Stig