Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Lars,

On Feb 13, 2008, at 6:50 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:
But there are maybe a few million routers in the world, and maybe even fewer for which scalability is a serious issue, compared to a few billion hosts. Deploying something new at the network layer that might require changes to host stacks or applications to maintain performance at current levels would be a non-starter.

We already have to change host stacks and applications to support IPv6. Given the minimal deployment of IPv6 to date, particularly within the application space, this doesn't seem like a non-starter to me.

And to be clear, most applications that exist today (that have been ported to IPv6) wouldn't need to change. Even in the worst case pure pull-based system, the only applications that would need to change would be those that are very sensitive to delays in the initial flow RTT. To date, there has been mention of one (channel changing) on this list. I'm sure there are others and I'd be interested in understanding their constraints, but I imagine those applications are in a distinct minority.

Regards,
-drc