Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

Thus spake "Tony Li" <tony.li@tony.li>
|Er, right, which I guess is why Plan A for IPv6 has always been
|pure PA, and use multiple prefixes on a site that has multiple
|ISPs.

That plan went south awhile ago, when the RIR's decided to hand out PI
instead.  Oops.

That plan was dead the day it was conceived; few in the IETF realized it at the time because they never bothered to ask end-site operators what they thought, but if they had it would have been clear how unacceptable it was.

It became slightly more obvious when dozens of end-user networks started applying for /32s by pretending to be LIRs because there was no other acceptable option. If even the highly-skilled early adopters (like, say, a certain router vendor) refused the multi-PA model, it should have been clear there's no way it was going to fly with the mass market.

ARIN simply decided to end the charade as well as make things a bit more manageable in the future. For instance, the PI prefixes are intentionally longer and out of different blocks so that they can be easily filtered by ISPs. Those assignments might eventually morph into EID blocks if this work succeeds. That wasn't an accident on the part of those of us supporting PI space; we didn't know what (or even if) magic would save the DFZ, but we at least planned for it in case it arrived...