Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

Hi Dino,

|No, I disagree. It has to keep a single set of filters, and that is
|based on the source address leaving the site. That can be the 1)
|source host's address, 2) the ITR's RLOC addres, or 3) a translated
|address. In all cases, they are out of the attached provider block.

That would seem to be inconsistent.  As you've previously said, when
operating with a PTR, the source address coming out of the LISP site would
be a pure EID.  That is necessarily not part of the provider block.

I am saying there are multiple ways to go. You could have a LISP site that does NAT even when there are PTRs deployed. But the point is the "routability" of the prefix. It doesn't matter if it's PA or PI. Today, there are PI addresses and PA addresses which are filtered.

But when the LISP site sources packets, it's one type of address, that is the source address of the packet that is put on the CE-PE link. So when a LISP site talks to another LISP site, that source address is an RLOC from the ISPs block. When that same LISP site is sending to a non- LISP site, the ITR can translate it's source address to the same RLOC as in the LISP-to-LISP case.

Therefore, the ISP doesn't have to deal with 2-sets of addresses for filtering or whatever.

|There is no choice here, we have to do this. And if we don't accept
|it, nothing will come close to getting deployed. So we have to try to
|make it work as simplest as we can.

No, this is also not true. There is a clear alternative: tunnel from the
ITR back out to the PTR.

Well that is a micro fix to the basic interworking architecture. I thought many were questioning all of draft-lewis-lisp- interworking-00.txt. Which my response was to that.

FWIW, I don't like that either, but we should consider the alternatives.

Well, I'll ask you the same thing I ask Yakov, give me an alternative that has a lower cost of deployment.

Dino