Re: [RRG] RRG process clarification

On May 2, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Randall Atkinson wrote:

% Is this really a different branch?

Using Lixia's taxonomy, the answer is clearly Yes.
It fits in none of the categories that Lixia defined.

Just to clarify: do you mean that "fix naming" is not in any of the branches mentioned in my msg?
(the text below suggests the answer is yes)

% Don't all solutions "fix" naming for varying values of "fix"?

That is not at all clear to me.  We have various ways of dealing
with the site multi-homing issue, but not all of the ways that
have been discussed here to address that involve changes
to the naming architecture.

If you prefer a different term, please suggest one.

(The category missing is not map-and-encapsulate,
nor is it address rewriting, nor ...)

Cheers,

Ran

Here is my personal view:
- naming on Internet is a very important issue.
- it is also very broad, concerning multiple layers of the protocol stack.
- there are inter-dependencies between naming at diff layers.
- In solving the routing scalability problem,
  we need a clear understanding of, as far as naming is concerned,
  (a) what we depend on the lower layers
  (b) what we may affect on the higher layers
- It is beyond our charter to offer a solution for the
  naming problem across all the layers of the protocol stack.
- IP/routing layer solution should focus on our own problem at hand,
  once we make the design decision here, we'd be in much better
  position to handle upper layer naming issues.

Lixia