Re: [RRG] Re: Fast and sparse mapping?

On 2008-09-24 04:28, David Conrad wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On Sep 21, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> I think this is very do-able: PI for ten million larger sites,
>
>> with LISP-type mapping if needed, and multi-prefix PA for
>> maybe ten billion consumer nodes, PANs and MANETs.
>
> If "multi-prefix PA" actually worked for folks, we wouldn't be having
> this discussion.

If it had been seriously tried out, we'd have some objective information
whether it actually works. All we actually have is conservative reactions
from people who've come to think of the way we do things with IPv4 as
the only way things could ever be.

> If RRG is supposed to be coming up with a scalable routing architecture,
> I would think it better to not have arbitrary boundaries between first
> class and second class network citizens.

Nobody said anything about 1st and 2nd class. There's a qualitative difference
between sites with trained IT management and unmanaged sites, and they
operate different solutions today; why wouldn't they operate different
solutions in future? What's the benefit in constraining them to the
same solution?

    Brian