Re: elmo-use-database?

At Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:49:56 +0100,
Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> At Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:34:03 -0500, Per B. Sederberg wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's the main problem with the setup.  I decided that I only
> > needed to sync my All Mail every 15min, so that drastically cut down
> > on the wasted battery.  Also, if you are willing to use the devel
> > version of offlineimap there are a number of great features added in
> > that allow you to only pay attention to a specified date range when
> > syncing, which I've heard can greatly increase sync times (I don't use
> > it yet.)
>
> You don't need offlineimap for Wanderlust. Wl has superb support for
> both IMAP and offline work.

I am happy with WL's offline support, though it (and every other IMAP
client I've tried) fails miserably when I try to use it with my gmail
All Mail folder, which contains over 30K messages.  If I want to
search through those messages (say with a virtual folder), it always
takes a ridiculous amount of time.

In addition, I can't do a server-side search of gmail while offline,
so that's another reason for offlineimap.  Mairix search is remarkably
fast (faster than gmail's search, though if google dedicated a machine
just for me I'm sure it would be pretty quick) and ,in general, I love
being able to search all of my mail while offline.

I still use WL IMAP for interfacing with my GMail inbox in realtime.
That is to say, I only use mairix to search my emails I've downloaded
with offlineimap.  I used to do everything through offlineimap, but
I do enjoy the speed of WL's IMAP interface.  It just breaks down when
it has to index and test for changes in a folder with thousands of
emails.  If you happen to know a workaround (I've emailed the mailing
list about WL and gmail before) I'd love to learn more to improve my
setup :)

BTW, Vitaly, thank you for all your work on this mailing list.  I have
learned quite a bit from your posts through the last year.

Best,
Per