Re: elmo-use-database?

At Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:19:57 -0500, Per B. Sederberg wrote:

> > You don't need offlineimap for Wanderlust. Wl has superb support for
> > both IMAP and offline work.
>
> I am happy with WL's offline support, though it (and every other IMAP
> client I've tried) fails miserably when I try to use it with my gmail
> All Mail folder, which contains over 30K messages.  If I want to
> search through those messages (say with a virtual folder), it always
> takes a ridiculous amount of time.

This is GMails fail. Corporate server at my job is pretty fast,
there's no any problem with 30+k folders. And I *have* to cut folders
at gmail down to ~10k messages, otherwise it works too slow for me.

> In addition, I can't do a server-side search of gmail while offline,
> so that's another reason for offlineimap.  Mairix search is remarkably
> fast (faster than gmail's search, though if google dedicated a machine
> just for me I'm sure it would be pretty quick) and ,in general, I love
> being able to search all of my mail while offline.

Wanderlust does offline search. Of course, it's up to, how to manage
your mail, but I don't like the idea of running IMAP sever at
localhost. I did it, when I was using Gnus, but Wl is far better than
Gnus in the questions of protocol handling.

> I still use WL IMAP for interfacing with my GMail inbox in realtime.
> That is to say, I only use mairix to search my emails I've downloaded
> with offlineimap.  I used to do everything through offlineimap, but
> I do enjoy the speed of WL's IMAP interface.  It just breaks down when
> it has to index and test for changes in a folder with thousands of
> emails.  If you happen to know a workaround (I've emailed the mailing
> list about WL and gmail before) I'd love to learn more to improve my
> setup :)

I did a couple of patches for ESEARCH feature and folders partial
update. If you manage all your mail only in Wl, partial updates
improve speed and reduce traffic quite a lot (this works with all
kinds of IMAP servers). Our corporate server (Zimbra) also supports
ESEARCH, this boosts almost every operation up to several
times. Unfortunately, GMail doesn't support ESEARCH.

Most of custom patches are in my repo only:
http://repo.or.cz/w/more-wl.git

Btw, if you use Wl only, you can safely set wl-summary-auto-sync-marks
to nil.

> BTW, Vitaly, thank you for all your work on this mailing list.  I have
> learned quite a bit from your posts through the last year.

You're welcome :)
--
wbr, Vitaly