Re: elmo-use-database?

On Dec 12, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Vitaly Mayatskikh wrote:

> Wanderlust does offline search.

Okay, I just finished plowing through the WL manual and I find nothing related to search other than the ability to create search folders.  Am I missing something?

I built namazu but there isn't much information about how to create an index of things WL can read.  For example, what about MIME decoding or messages stored in a compressed archive folder?

> Of course, it's up to, how to manage
> your mail, but I don't like the idea of running IMAP sever at
> localhost. I did it, when I was using Gnus, but Wl is far better than
> Gnus in the questions of protocol handling.

I'm very much looking forward to a smooth WL experience after years of frustration with Gnus.  There's still a lot of configuration and learning ahead of me though :-)

>> I still use WL IMAP for interfacing with my GMail inbox in realtime.
>> That is to say, I only use mairix to search my emails I've downloaded
>> with offlineimap.  I used to do everything through offlineimap, but
>> I do enjoy the speed of WL's IMAP interface.  It just breaks down when
>> it has to index and test for changes in a folder with thousands of
>> emails.  If you happen to know a workaround (I've emailed the mailing
>> list about WL and gmail before) I'd love to learn more to improve my
>> setup :)
>
> I did a couple of patches for ESEARCH feature and folders partial
> update. If you manage all your mail only in Wl, partial updates
> improve speed and reduce traffic quite a lot (this works with all
> kinds of IMAP servers).

What happens if you occasionally use other mail clients (I can't run WL on my phone very effectively ;->)?

> Our corporate server (Zimbra) also supports
> ESEARCH, this boosts almost every operation up to several
> times. Unfortunately, GMail doesn't support ESEARCH.
>
> Most of custom patches are in my repo only:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/more-wl.git

Cool, are these destined for upstream integration?

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing