Re: Use of wl-summary-auto-sync-marks

Hi Erik,

At Mon, 04 Jul 2011 13:09:49 -0700,
Erik Hetzner wrote:

> > I'm okay with this modification. If persistent flags (e.g. unread,
> > important, user defined keywords) don't matter, syncing them is not
> > necessary and if it get's in your way, you should be able to disable
> > syncing in this particular case (e.g.: folder).
> >
> > Not sure how you could actually lose flags unless the client pushes
> > it's perspective to the server which AFAIK only happens if you toggle
> > a flag (or do something that toggles a flag).
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'd like to push the patch to CVS trunk
> > end of July 2011.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Should the issues raised here:
>
> http://mid.gmane.org/87vcw4ki1c.wl%25matt@dancingfrog.co.uk
>
> be addressed first? I can’t really think of a reason why, but I’m
> reluctant to make changes that may turn out to be unnecessary later
> if the mark synchronization functionality needs to be changed.
>
> best, Erik
> Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.

I don't think these issues are related. The issue raised by Matt is
Wanderlust not consistently syncing global flags (what can be
considered a bug), the issue here is not a bug, but just a side-effect
of syncing marks with a large folder with ever-changing content.

If you look at your elp-results

wl-summary-sync                                     1           35.426965     35.426965
wl-summary-sync-update                              1           34.858901     34.858901
elmo-folder-set-flag                                8           24.989765     3.123720625
wl-summary-sync-marks                               1           17.02447      17.02447
elmo-global-flag-set                                143         12.30866      0.0860745454

There are 8 calls to `elmo-folder-set-flags' which take up ~25 seconds
and 143 calls to global-flag-set. It's syncing the marks that takes so
long.

And today it just struck me why I was not able to reproduce such a
slowness with an all-mail folder with ~45k messages on my local
system. I only got an moderat increase of .5 seconds compared to a
local folder with ~10k messages. The reason: My local folders contain
only archived messages so there was no need to update any marks at
all.

So even if we fix the inconsistent syncing you'd still have to deal
with a slow sync; it might even be worse if WL also starts to unset
global flags.

Best,
  -- David
--