Re: Use of wl-summary-auto-sync-marks

At Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:53:21 +0200,
David Maus wrote:

> I don't think these issues are related. The issue raised by Matt is
> Wanderlust not consistently syncing global flags (what can be
> considered a bug), the issue here is not a bug, but just a side-effect
> of syncing marks with a large folder with ever-changing content.
>
> If you look at your elp-results
>
> wl-summary-sync                                     1           35.426965     35.426965
> wl-summary-sync-update                              1           34.858901     34.858901
> elmo-folder-set-flag                                8           24.989765     3.123720625
> wl-summary-sync-marks                               1           17.02447      17.02447
> elmo-global-flag-set                                143         12.30866      0.0860745454
>
> There are 8 calls to `elmo-folder-set-flags' which take up ~25 seconds
> and 143 calls to global-flag-set. It's syncing the marks that takes so
> long.
>
> And today it just struck me why I was not able to reproduce such a
> slowness with an all-mail folder with ~45k messages on my local
> system. I only got an moderat increase of .5 seconds compared to a
> local folder with ~10k messages. The reason: My local folders contain
> only archived messages so there was no need to update any marks at
> all.
>
> So even if we fix the inconsistent syncing you'd still have to deal
> with a slow sync; it might even be worse if WL also starts to unset
> global flags.

Hi David,

I needed to think this over a bit. It seems you are correct.

I was reluctant because I suspect that there are some improvements to
speed of mark synchronization that can be achieved without adding
another configuration option (WL has quite a lot). For example, it
does not make sense (as far as I can tell) to sync marks when the
folder in unplugged.

But I think that some users will want to auto-sync marks on certain
folders, but not others, so I do think we should go ahead with this.

Thanks!

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.