Re: "byte-code: IMAP error: STATUS unknown option" after authentication

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:31:49 +0200
Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:

> James, you appear to be using an older version of Wanderlust -- the IMAP
> code has been rewritten.  Could you please try with a recent version
> (wl-beta if you're running Debian, or directly from Git), and report if it
> fixes your issues?

You might note in my initial email that I was using wl-beta. So, wl-beta itself is out of date.

I ended up using el-get to reinstall Wanderlust, and I got further. It now updates the folder statistics (good) and it can display the summary buffer (also good). It did eventually display a message also, but the server was extremely slow about it.

Then I wanted to make sure I could relaunch wl in a new Emacs session, so I quit Emacs, restarted it, and... el-get started throwing up error messages. So I commented out all the el-get init stuff (since I already got what I wanted from it), quit and restarted Emacs, did M-x wl <RET> and:

call-interactively: Cannot open load file: wl

Added:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp")

And M-x wl <RET> in a new Emacs session gets the same error ("cannot open load file").

So wl is in there somewhere, and I was able to run it successfully once and only once, but now I'm missing something really dumb in my ~/.emacs.

Maybe I should have used ELPA or MELPA...? Dunno... too many ways to do the same thing, and not a good way for users to evaluate which is the best. FWIW, I was going to start with the git repository and compile it myself, but I gave up when the INSTALL file says to install specific versions of semi and flim, but doesn't explain where to get those. I'm well out of time to go researching cascading dependencies. That's when a package that automatically installs dependencies started to look a lot more attractive.

But indeed, the cue to use a more recent version was right on point.

hjh